Devices and Platforms
Surveybe is designed to be as flexible and easy to deploy as possible. That’s why the Implementer comes free of charge so you don’t need to worry about costly interruptions to fieldwork.
Similarly we understand that your hardware procurement is a considered purchase and one that will want to utilise the chosen devices in field for as long as possible. As a result projects often have field teams equipped with a variety of hardware which means different operating systems, screen sizes and so on. Surveybe provides solutions for this.
One Design; multiple operating systems
We have developed surveybe to be able to identify the device’s operating system and intelligently convert the questionnaire to present the relevant User Interface whilst incorporating the particular functionality of that operating system.
So you design your questionnaire(s) and, without the need for additional configuration, you can deploy seamlessly across a range of devices. Simple, efficient and flexible.
Different screen sizes will mean that questionnaire content may alter between units on the same operating system. However we have developed surveybe for Android to ensure that the relational presentation on screen remains as the questionnaire designer intended. So during configuration you can define the components of the survey on screen and remain confident that this will remain true on a range of screen sizes.
Surveybe on Android will run on Mobile phones, ‘Phablets’ and tablets. The Images show a 10-inch, an 8-inch and a phone screen roster presentation.
Enhanced Multi-Media Functions – Android devices
- Image capture
- Audio recording answer type
- Bar code and QR code scanner
- Integrated GPS capture
- File attachment – any type of file including temperature guages, scans finger print readers.
- Audio Audit recording with user defined frequency and duration
- Audio read out of questions with digitalised voice
- Audio read out of questions with pre-recorded human voice
- Video playback
- As part of the questionnaire
- from the device
- from the internet where connectivity permits
Whilst we can’t formally recommend a particular unit or manufacturer we do regularly test and deploy a range of hardware on our own projects. Additionally clients provide feedback on units that they have used. We have merged this information to formulate the list of potential units that are worthy of consideration.
The context of your project(s) will determine the suitability and selection of particular hardware units. Overall our (not-exhaustive) list of suggested factors to consider are:
- Durability and Build Quality
- Operating system – and the ability obtain future OS updates
- GPS capabilities
- Camera and microphone positioning and quality
- Battery life
- screen sensitivity (and touch points)
- Ports (USB/micro USB)
- Integrated RAM and the possibility to add more
- Screen size
- Protection (cases, screens and data drives)
- Connectivity e.g. 3G/4G/5G
- Security features e.g passcodes, finger print or optical readers etc.